Hi, everyone! I hope you are having a great weekend! My boys and I spend yesterday baking cookies, candies and this delicious bread! I decided to take a little break from sharing Christmas sweets and post this yummy bread recipe.
My Mom shared this recipe for Homemade Dutch Oven Bread with me, while she was helping me after my surgery. Ever since then, I have been hooked. It is more of a crusty type of bread, so it goes fabulously with soup! The recipe came from THIS website, if you would like to see a photo tutorial of how exactly you make it.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour and a bit more for dusting the bread after rising.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a bowl or mixer.
- Add the flour and salt (in that order) and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest on a counter at room temperature at least six hours and preferably, overnight.
- Dust a cutting board with some flour and scrape the dough onto it.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour over the top as it will be very sticky.
- Just fold the dough over onto itself a couple of times, and shape into a ball.
- If the dough is too loose, just knead in 1/4 cup of flour.
- Shape into a ball by pulling around the dough edges and folding underneath. Place on the counter on a piece of parchment paper and cover with a towel and let rise for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the bread, preheat the dutch oven in the oven at 450 degrees.
- Carefully remove the dutch oven, take off the top, and using the parchment paper, lift up the dough ball and gently drop it into the dutch oven.
- Use a knife to slash 3 slits in the dough, diagonally.
- Cover and place back in oven.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and continue baking for 15 minutes until dough is browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for one hour before cutting.