We have a treat for you today! Our friend Derrick from A Worthey Read is going to make your tummy rumble with this Taco Soup Supreme recipe!
What’s better than tacos? Well, how about a piping hot bowl of Taco Supreme Soup! This pot of Mexican influenced goodness is the first cousin to the more popular chili recipes you’ve been making for years. And the ingredients sound familiar because just about everything you put into a taco is in here too. Need one more reason to try it? Well, how about this, it’s a lot faster than preparing a traditional pot of chili, and the taste (in my opinion) is way better. Don’t believe me? Give it a whirl and I think you’re going to enjoy it.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 25 ounce can Mexican style hominy
- 16 ounce can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 11 ounce can golden sweet corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
1 avocado, peeled with seed removed, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup Spanish or red onion, diced
1/2 cup sour cream
4 – 6 flour tortillas cut into strips
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat add two (2) tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add ground beef and brown, breaking meat into small pieces.
- Season ground beef with taco seasoning, cumin, black pepper and Kosher or sea salt.
- Add beef broth, water and onions and stir well, continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Mexican style hominy, kidney (or pinto) beans and corn, stir into all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- When the soup is finished ladle into serving bowls and top with as many of the toppings as you like.
While Taco Soup in cooking start prepping the toppings.
1. Add 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese to a serving bowl.
2. Peel, remove seed and cut avocado into cubes.
3. Peel and dice a Spanish onion into a serving dish.
4. Chop cilantro and place into a small serving dish.
5. Add sour cream to a serving bowl.
6. In a skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cut flour tortillas into strips add a few strips at a time to the hot oil, brown strips and set aside.
If you enjoyed this Taco Supreme Soup recipe you won’t want to miss this Manwich Nacho Supreme recipe from the A Worthey Read blog!