- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups of USDA Organic flour (white, wheat or a gluten free sub)
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick (or ¼ cup) of chilled butter cut into small cubes
- For the topping:
- Beaten egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Combined buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg into a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking
powder,chopped butter and salt in a bowl. Whisk all ingredients together. Then I cut in with a pastry blender or just a fork to make sure butteris blended well. The mixture will look a little course but it’s supposed to look like that. Then add your chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Lastly, add your liquid mixture to your flour and mix together with a spatula until it’s thoroughly blended! You can even use your hands to knead well.
- I like to coat my hands with flour to mix this together so the scone mixture doesn’t stick to my hands.
- Mold into a circle and place on a cookie sheet on a piece of parchment paper. Cut like a pizza and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve