We are in our final days of preparation before Christmas! Today is a traditional cookie that almost everyone I know makes to leave out for Santa. Sugar Cookies are the cookies that I let my boys frost and decorate any way they wish. They get to be in charge!
Here is the fun that they had last night!
We have LOTS of sugar and sprinkles on our cookies!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate cookies
Here is the frosting recipe that I use:
Sugar Cookie Frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (optional)
Combine powdered sugar, corn syrup, almond extract and enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.