With the New Year approaching, you might be wondering how you can make a difference in other’s lives. Random acts of kindness are a great way to not only spread love and cheer to others, but to feel pretty amazing yourself. Below you will find 52 random acts of kindness that you can try in the New Year. See what a difference they can make!
52 Ways to Practice Random Acts of Kindness
1. Take some flowers to the local nursing home to pass out to residents.
2. Make cards for the various holidays, and drop them off at a local hospital.
3. Pay a toll for the person behind you on the highway.
4. Treat the person behind you in the drive thru line to their meal.
5. Leave a few quarters in a vending machine for the next person to use.
6. Place a dollar on a toy in a dollar store. Some little child will feel so lucky to find it!
7. Place extra coupons you have on the products they go with at the grocery store.
8. Tip the person who helps you carry groceries or other purchases to your car.
9. Send your child’s teacher a note of thanks and a small gift.
10. Buy a cup of coffee for the person behind you at the coffee shop.
11. Pass out sandwiches and travel size toiletries to the homeless.
12. Offer to take a friend’s child for the evening to give them a break.
13. Take a hot meal to a friend.
14. Make a handmade gift for someone who is having a rough time.
15. Leave a server a larger than usual tip along with a note of thanks.
16. Take some donations of food and treats to a local animal shelter.
17. Volunteer at your child’s school for an hour. The teacher will love the extra hand.
18. Leave a note of encouragement on a stranger’s car. Even just a “Have a great day!” is appreciated.
19. Leave a note of thanks for your local mail man.
20. Send someone flowers for no reason at all, just because you appreciate them.
21. Put some change in a soon to expire parking meter.
22. Do a load of laundry for a friend.
23. Leave your read magazines at the doctor’s office where someone else can enjoy them.
24. Pay a compliment to someone on how nice they look.
25. Smile at someone who seems to be down.
26. Donate clothing to a local homeless shelter.
27. Drop off donuts for the teachers at your child’s school.
28. Give away things you don’t need any more for free.
29. Give an umbrella to someone who needs it.
30. Leave sticky notes with positive messages on them around the house or office.
31. Offer to walk a neighbor’s dog for free.
32. Make someone a cake for no reason at all.
33. Pick up litter in the neighborhood.
34. Offer to fix something that is broken.
35. Hold the door for a stranger.
36. Hold the elevator for a stranger.
37. Carry a stranger’s bags from the grocery store to their car.
39. Let the person behind you at the grocery store cut you in line.
40. Offer your seat to a stranger on the bus or subway.
41. Read to a child.
42. Plant a neighborhood garden.
43. Offer to take an elderly neighbor to the store.
44. Leave extra change near the machines at the laundry mat.
45. Give your old books to local schools, nursing homes, and county jails.
46. Make a habit of asking someone how you can help them.
47. Phone a person you know may be lonely.
48. Take a plant to the receptionist at your doctor’s office.
49. Carry an extra umbrella to give to someone without one.
50. Offer to help a friend in need clean their home.
51. Give concert or athletic event tickets to someone who doesn’t get to go out much.
52. Whatever your skill is (painting, sewing, cooking) find ways to use it for the benefit of others in need.
Let 2015 be the year you practice random acts of kindness. Give these 52 ideas a try and see how wonderful you will feel.