Is your baby not such a baby anymore and headed for college? It is a big step to be sure and there are a lot of things to do and buy before they leave. Be sure they have what they need in their dorm room to give them some independence while making dorm life a little easier. While you are buying sheets and color coordinated trashcans don’t forget a few more must haves like these…
7 Dorm Room Must Haves
1. Roku– Whether they are streaming educational documentaries or mind decompressing comedies this awesome device that lets you watch hundreds of channels and offers the top streaming services will be a key piece of equipment in their dorm room. It may just make theirs the room to be in with over 250,000 movies and TV episodes to chose from. You can select your player from 4 different models.
2. Tool kit– From hanging pictures to measuring a spot for a mini fridge or bookshelf a small toolkit can really come in handy for your student. Some basic things that are a must have in the tool kit are – a hammer, Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, small measuring tape, picture hangers/hooks with a removable backing, and a level.
3. Over the door organizers– When you are short on space you want to maximize every square inch of it. Over the door organizers like the ones that hold shoes with clear pockets can house everything from school supplies to snacks or toiletries. Put one on every door of the dorm room for extra storage.
4. Laundry bag– Somewhere to throw jeans, school mascot covered sweatshirts, and unmentionables for lugging to the laundry or bringing home when they visit. A good, sturdy drawstring canvas bag is probably your best bet. Consider two- one for towels and jeans and another for more delicate clothing.
5. Sewing kit– Needles, thread, small scissors, and safety pins can mean the difference in a wardrobe malfunction and rockin’ their college style. A simple sewing kit will give them the tools they need to replace buttons, shorten hems, secure straps and more.
6. Coffee pot– Even if they don’t drink coffee single serve beverage makers can provide them with a steady stream of tea or cocoa. Many flavors and varieties are available and they won’t have to worry about replacing filters. Include a couple boxes of caffeine and non-caffeine laden beverages for early mornings and late night study sessions.
7. Under the Bed Storage Boxes– Just like over the door storage solutions these will give your student extra space that would otherwise be wasted. They can be used for clothes, books, food, and more- keep them out of the way but easy to access.