- For the Cake
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- For the Ganache
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray or lightly grease an 8 inch round cake pan or springform pan.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring often. Pour mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Next, add in eggs and beat well to a smooth consistency and then fold in the cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, scraping the bowl to get all the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the cake reads 200F.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-20 minutes and then loosen and tip out onto a cake plate to finish cooling.
- To make the glaze, melt chocolate together with heavy whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate ganache is smooth. Set aside and allow the chocolate ganache to come to room temperature, and/or thicken to the desired consistency for pouring over the cake. You don’t want it to pour over the sides, which it will do if it is too thin.
- Add a mixture of berries and slivered almonds to the top of the cake.