- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- For the decorations:
- Ready-made chocolate buttercream/frosting (or, your favorite recipe for chocolate frosting!)
- 1 cup orange candy melts
- 4 tbsp white candy melts
- Green sprinkles
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a stand mixer, mix sugar and egg until creamy. Continue mixing and add vanilla extract and oil.
- Start adding your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients in parts, alternating with your buttermilk. Continue mixing until well-combined and then add your hot water.
- Fill each section of your muffin tin about halfway. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
- Before decorating, allow for the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Melt your orange and white candy melts (separately) and scoop into a piping bag. On wax paper, pipe out miniature carrots. Use the white candy melts for the “leaves” of the carrots and sprinkle with your green sprinkles. Allow to set.
- Once cupcakes are cool, frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting. Place candy carrot on top.