- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 pounds potatoes, diced (peel if you desire)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Step 1 – Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat and add diced bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Step 2 – Transfer the bacon to a separate plate with paper towels to soak up the grease.
- Step 3 – Add the onion into the stockpot and cook until soft.
- Step 4 – Add the flour on top of the onion and stir until combined.
- Step 5 – Add the chicken broth until combined, stir in the milk, potatoes and cooked bacon bits.
- Step 6 – Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer but do not boil.
- Step 7 – Reduce the head to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Step 8 – Last, stir in the cheese and sour cream until well combined. Top with more bacon bits and sour cream if desired. Enjoy!