This French comfort food is super simple and is sure to become a staple for those cold winter evenings.
- 3 large leeks – washed and remove roots and dark green parts
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into about 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and leeks. Cook all for about 5 minutes until softened
- Add in salt, pepper, potatoes and cayenne. Stir together and cover pot. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until potatoes begin to soften.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using either an immersion blender or blender. Blend soup mixture until smooth and creamy and return to pot.
- Return pureed soup to the pot, reduce heat to low and whisk in cream. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Top with chives, cheese or bacon and serve.