I’m thrilled to share this post with you that was written by one of my closest friends and the person I turn to when I need advice on health and fitness! I can’t wait to share this series with you on Moms Getting Healthy!
So… You want to join the ranks of getting fit and feeling good. Just remember you get out of it what you put into it. Here is a list of things to think about when getting started.
Five Tips For Moms to Get Healthy
1. What is your goal? Is it a SMART goal? Is it SPECIFIC ( I want to lose 5lbs) is it MEASUREABLE( yes I can measure with my scale) is it ATTAINABLE (yes I could lose 5lbs.) is it REALISTIC( losing 5lbs in a week may not be but a month..Yes!) is it Timely? Yes..I have a realistic time frame. Write your goal down.. Put it on your mirror in the bathroom..on the fridge..and in your car..as a reminder helping to keep your goal in sight.
2. Find somebody that will help keep you on track. Not everyone can hire personal trainer, but by having a friend accompany you to an exercise class or on daily walks can be very powerful.
No friends nearby? Chances are you have a friend tracking their physical activity and food journal on an app like myfitnesspal. This app allows you to connect with them and for both of you to share in your journey to healthier living.
3. Schedule your exercise. Make daily exercise and planning for healthy meals be a part of your daily to do list: find a time that works best for your families schedule and stick with it.
4. Realize that how much sleep you get (or don’t get) at night can directly impact your health. Make sure you are getting at least 8 hours of sleep at night. Keep track of how much sleep your getting for the first week and make adjustments from there.
5. Invest in good workout shoes. If you are brand new to regular exercise..it would be very beneficial to visit a local sports store and be properly fitted for shoes. Your shoes are the most important piece of equipment you will need. Make sure you have proper cushioning and arch support as needed. Many sales associates will be trained to help you find the best fit.
Traci Havlik has been a Physical Education and Health instructor for 16 years in central Iowa. During this time she has coached many student athletes and instructed group fitness and strength and conditioning classes . Her background also includes corporate fitness and wellness programming . She has her masters in education and is a certified Health and Wellness instructor. In 2008 Traci was recognized as the Iowa Health Teacher of the Year. Her favorite past times includes running and biking.