This post brought to you by The Orkin Ecologist. All opinions are 100% mine.
Halloween is next week and my boys have really gotten into the mood of scaring each other, talking about things like spiders, bats and vampires. They love that part of Halloween!
I decided to take the opportunity to teach them a few things about Spiders and make a fun craft project with them too! We made out own DIY Paper plate Spider webs, complete with some spooky looking spiders.
How to make DIY Paper Plate Spider Webs
Materials You Need
- Paper Plates
Step 1 – Cut 1/2 inch slits around the outside of the paper plate.
Step 2 – Tie a note in the end of your yarn and start to weave the yarn on the plate back and forth, creating a web look
Step 3 – Trim the yarn ends when you are finished and add a spider onto the web. That’s it!
We found some great facts and information about spiders on The Orkin Ecologistsite when we were looking for spider information. My Boys loved learning about spiders and what they did. We listed a few of my kids favorite facts below.
Did you Know? Facts about Spiders
1. Spider bodies consist of two parts, the cephalothorax and the abdomen.
2. Almost all spider species are predators, although one plant-feeding species has been documented.
3. Males risk being eaten by their female mates.
4. Spiders do not have chewing mouthparts and commonly utilize digestive enzymes in their saliva to break prey down before consuming it
5. Spiders have three or four pair of eyes.
The Orkin Ecologist site is a fantastic educational resource for both novice and experienced science lovers. It’s a great source for science projects like fairs and reports, if your kids do those types of things.
Being so close to Halloween, this was a fun and educational project for my kids that they loved because it was creepy for them too!
Leave a comment