I am so happy to be back this month! It is Aubri from The Scent of Oranges again and we have a really fun recipe today, well I think its pretty fun:-) If you want to come check out a few more you hop over to my site or follow me on facebook, pinterest, twitter or instagram! I always love meeting new people:-)We are in this fun in between summer and fall weather as one season melds into the other. We have some chilly days and some hot days, but the nights are always cool now. It is actually a lovely time of year. I think this salad falls into the summer category, but it still seems perfect for this transition period. It is a light and fresh salad, but it has warm ingredients mixed in; this is actually my favorite combination. Then add pomegranate in and it really gets exciting. I love pomegranates, but I rarely buy them. My sweet grandma gave me a bag from her neighbor’s harvest and I was able to make all sorts of fun things. I think this one was my favorite though.I usually try to give exact amounts for ingredients but unfortunately this chicken recipe is one that takes a little flexibility. I create a mini lake of lemon juice and white wine vinegar and slowly cook it into the chicken and zucchini. If you need to add more liquid, only add a little at a time; you don’t want to make it too strong. If it does end up with a little too much zing you can add in some broth or some agave/honey to help balance things out. Now add everything together with a healthy amount of pomegranates over the top and enjoy! I hope September is treating you well. Can you believe the month is almost over?! We are getting ready to have our little girl any day now!!! I can’t believe it! I’ll let you know how everything goes next month!
Lemon Chicken and Zucchini
1-2 pieces of chicken
1 medium zucchini, sliced and halved
White wine vinegar
- Thaw the chicken if it is frozen and place in a pan on the stove with zucchini pieces. Pour lemon juice and white wine vinegar over chicken until you have created a small lake. Use a couple dashes each of salt, pepper and lemon pepper.
- Raise heat to medium-high and bring liquid to a boil. Once it is boiling reduce heat to a simmer until chicken is cooked through and all the liquid is gone (remember to flip you chicken so it cooks evenly). If you liquid is gone before the chicken is cooked, add a little more lemon juice and vinegar.
Pomegranate Lemon Chicken and Zucchini Salad
1-2 handfuls of spinach OR red leaf and romaine lettuce
1 tomato, diced
¼ avocado, diced
Lemon vinegar chicken and zucchini
¼ C pomegranate seeds
- Roughly chop spinach and place on serving dish.
- Layer tomato, avocado, zucchini and chicken over your bed of spinach.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top.
- Dress with a little salt and lemon pepper.
A few more recipes to whet your appetite!