- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (16 oz) pkg potato gnocchi or homemade gnocchi (I like to use mini)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, then more to thin as needed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté 6 minutes, add garlic sauté 1- 2 minutes longer.
Pour in broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add in chicken breasts and bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through (it should register 165 in center), about 8 – 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cook and stir constantly 1 minute.
While whisking vigorously pour in milk then continue to whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
While whisking constantly, cook until mixture thickens and lightly boils. Stir in cream, remove from heat.
Once chicken in soup has cooked through remove chicken from soup and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes then dice or shred into pieces. If veggies aren’t nearly soft let that soup simmer a few minutes longer before adding gnocchi.
Add gnocchi to broth mixture, cover and simmer for recommend time directed on package, about 5 minutes. Reduce to low heat.
Stir milk mixture into broth mixture, then add in cooked chicken
Creating a creamy soup for your family just got a whole lot easier. This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is perhaps the creamiest and most delicious soup you can make right in your own kitchen.
Most of us have been to Olive Garden, where they sell the most famous Gnocchi soup of all time. However, my Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is a recipe you can enjoy anytime you’d like. I’m going to teach you how to make this soup, so you can enjoy it with your family whenever you feel like making it. I’d say this soup is as good as my Homemade Tomato Soup with Pesto, Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup, or Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Once you start thinking about this soup, you won’t be able to get it out of your mind. This will result in you looking in your pantry to discover if you have the ingredients to make this dish or not.
- All-purpose flour – You are going to need the flour to help create the consistency for this soup.
- Shredded carrots – You cannot have gnocchi soup without shredded carrots! You can see them peeping out of the soup.
- Chicken broth – Another essential ingredient in this dish is chicken broth. The broth helps give the soup its flavor and nutrients.
- Onion – I don’t know about you, but I LOVE adding onion to all of my soups.
- Chicken breast – You are going to love adding the chicken as your protein to this soup.
These are just some of the base ingredients for this recipe. All of the ingredients are essential to making this soup so don’t leave anything out. Make sure you check out the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and directions.
What to Enjoy with Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Now that you’ve made the soup, what are you going to serve with this delicious soup? There are more than a few options, but my favorite side dish to serve with this soup is Homemade Dinner Rolls. They seriously complete this soup and make it taste even more delicious. Bread is a major staple when you make soup. If you don’t feel like making rolls, then give this Easy Homemade Bread From Scratch a try.
The next time you need a creamy soup to make, give this Chicken Gnocchi Soup a try. It’s quickly become a family favorite around here. You can enjoy this soup on a crispy fall morning or during a summer afternoon when you’d prefer soup over the grill. Leave a comment below if you get the chance to try this heavenly soup.