Happy Fall! I’m Rachel from Craving some Creativity, and I am excited to be sharing one of my family’s favorite fall soups today. If you can believe it, this recipe introduced me to the delicious taste and texture of kale. I had no idea how much I, or my picky 5 year old, would love it. Now, every year, when the soup and stew season sets in, this is the first soup I make. The seasonings of the Italian sausage add warmth while the broth adds richness without being too heavy. And you can even spice it up if you like.
One of the best aspects of soup is the leftovers. I love making a big pot on Sunday that everyone can heat up as they please for those busy weeknights. Especially during the holidays, this makes my life so much more efficient.
How to Make Sausage & Kale Soup:
- 8 medium red potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5-6 kale leaves, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage or links, casings removed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, boil the sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large pot, crumble the Italian sausage. Begin to brown 1-2 minutes and then add the onions. Cook until sausage is fully cooked and onions are translucent. Drain off excess fat.
3. Stir in the chicken broth, milk, and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover, and turn to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, heavy cream, and kale. After returning to a simmer, cook 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted.
Pretty simple recipe, right? Do you have any family favorite soups or stews? I would love any ideas.